The Bean Bug is a passive mob that can randomly appear in any field (Except the Ant Field), be spawned through the Wind Shrine, or be manually spawned by Onett. They often spawn in one field in groups of 3 or more and later split up.
When they spawn, they spit 1-3 jelly bean tokens in volleys over the field which any player can pick up. Then they hop to another location on the field and spit more. The tokens only last for a few seconds, much less time than the tokens spawned from regular jelly beans. After 7-15 volleys of jelly beans, the bean bugs hop to other fields to spit jelly beans. This process repeats until they despawn after a while.
The beans were used for the limited time Sun Bear questline to receive 250 tickets and for the limited 2019 Bee Bear questlines. They are also used for Spirit Bear's questline, and also used for Bee Bear's questline. Sun Bear and Bee Bear's Bean Bug questlines could only be received, during the time that they are in-game, as a part of an event.
Players are unable to damage it, nor can it damage players.
- Bean bugs, frogs, fireflies, chicks, spotted chicks, and hostage chicks are the only passive mobs in the game, as they cannot deal damage to players.
- They were first introduced in the 9/28/2019 update when Sun Bear accidentally released the bean bugs.
- Sometimes, they can get stuck in various areas, including the Mushroom Field, Cactus Field, Bamboo Field, Basic Bee Gate, and fields that have solid object(s) while jumping. If they get stuck, they can’t change course and will remain useless until de-spawning. Onett joked about this being "natural selection".
- These and fireflies are the only passive mobs that are able to produce tokens.
- This, Stick Bug, and Snowbears are the only mobs being able to spawn a debuff. Stick Bug can spawn the Splinter Trap, Snowbear can Freeze with its snowballs, and bean bugs can spawn spoiled jelly beans.
- As confirmed by Bee Bear, Bean Bugs have small brains and cannot understand the concept of naughty or nice.
- This is actually a common misconception, brain size doesn’t necessarily determine one person's intelligence.
- At the end of Beesmas 2020, Onett spawned them as "The Bean Bug Brigade".
|Normal||Ladybug • Rhino Beetle • Aphid • Spider • Mantis • Scorpion • Werewolf • Cave Monster • Ants • Stick Nymph|
|Mini-Bosses||Rogue Vicious Bee • Wild Windy Bee • Stump Snail • Commando Chick • Snowbear|
|Bosses||King Beetle • Tunnel Bear • Stick Bug • Coconut Crab • Mondo Chick|
|Passive||Firefly • Bean Bug • Frog • Chick • Hostage Chick • Spotted Chick|